Yield: 12 servings
Ingredients for Dressing
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the Salad
2 cups uncooked quinoa
2 cups boiling water
3 cups cooked chickpeas
2/3 cups raisins, soaked in warm water until soft and plump
1 large red pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup sliced green onions, including the green tops
1/2 cup fresh chopped mint
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup pine nuts (optional)
Ripe tomato slices for garnish
1. Make the dressing by putting all ingredients into a small bowl. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.
2. Prepare the quinoa by putting it in the boiling water and simmering for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the quinoa is al dente in texture. Drain any remaining water and place in a large bowl and stir in the raisins and chickpeas. Put the quinoa-chickpea mixture in the fridge to cool.
3. As the quinoa cooks, dice the vegetables and herbs and mix in a medium sized bowl.
4. Once the quinoa-chickpea mixture has cooled, add the veggie-herb mixture. Top the salad with the dressing. Mix well and add the salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well.
5. Toast the pine nuts (if using) over medium heat on a pan just before serving.
6. To serve, mound the salad on a serving dish or individual plates, sprinkle with the pine nuts and garnish with the tomatoes! Simple and delicious!
Free Recipe provided by: The Accommodating Kitchen Recipes © 2013